Friday, February 2, 2018

Roman Auxiliary Cavalry

An ala of roman auxiliary cavalry has arrived to re-inforce the garrison of Botulinum; they are being reviewed by the garrison commander ...


Saturday, January 27, 2018

last bit of work on the roman auxiliary cavalry ...

been working on the roman cavalry - finally got all the green stuff done and the horse furniture finished -

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

two more roman auxiliary cavalry conversions

finished the last two roman auxiliary cavalry conversions, a bit of an assembly job with bits from many sources (Hat horses, Toyway torsos....)
quite a bit of green stuff work to do on these and then work through the rest of the unit ...

Sunday, January 21, 2018

a base for the the Ampitheatre ...

pulled out the ampitheatre pieces today to make a base for the arena.

for the base I decide to use some Daler mounting board and some sandy look fabric
 The arena was setup on the sheet of mounting board on and drawn round to get the shape; this was cut out and then covered with the fabric (using some strong glue for the edges and dabs of PVA in the middle); after that I covered some offcuts with stone flagstone paper sheet for the entrance area...
 The entrance area ...
 on the finished base I used some sploshes of PVA and some different colours of sandy scatters to improve the look....
gladiators to paint and some spectators to do ....

Saturday, January 20, 2018

final tweak to the auxiliaries (WIP)

the Italeri Roamns that I am using for my new auxiliary unit have had their heads replaced with some later style helmets (mix of Call-To-Arms and Toyway Heroic ones)
in addition I altered the signifier so that the standard is held on a piece of wire (the plastic being a bit weak) - now they can join the paint queue.

The roman auxiliary cavalry awaits 2 more horses to be obtained and to add the riders before I get them ready for painting.

Sunday, December 17, 2017

Roman cavalry - basic conversions done...

The aim was to get the spears, heads and shields better for the figures I had originally made up and to add to these to increase the size of the unit.  I used the best candidate figures from the Italeri plastic cavalry and added 4 more to make the unit up to 10 in total; shields are from the the Italeri roman infantry and the new heads from Timpo Toyway romans
will now have to fix and fill .....out with the green stuff ...

Saturday, December 16, 2017

Roman cavalry - collecting bits together ....

decided to sort out the roman cavalry - bought a couple of boxes of plastic roman cavalry. All the bits available out for investigation and decisions on best conversion/modification methods.
one possibility is to sculpt and cast a rider - with only 12 or so figures not a runner; I like to get 30+ figs out of a mould to make it worthwhile in terms of cost and effort